Kebab Shop owner sniffs uncooked chicken in worst London Salmonella outbreak

A kebab shop boss whose Shepherd’s Bush premises were the source of the worst salmonella outbreak in London for at least 15 years was spared jail on Tuesday. Mohammed Shafique, 49, who ran the Shahi Nan shop in Uxbridge Road, admitted to food hygiene breaches which caused the poisoning of 72 people, aged between five and 72. Isleworth Crown Court heard at least 22 victims had to be treated in hospital and were kept in for an average of four days. Shafique, who took over the shop in 2001, told health inspectors he sniffed the uncooked chicken deliveries to check they were safe to eat. His premises was first visited in September 2009 after reports emerged that 17 people had visited St Mary’s and Charing Cross Hospitals with food poisoning. The numbers rose to 72 between September 9-18 – in the previous month there had been just 15 reported salmonella cases in the whole country. Officials found traces of the bug on a light switch and in the fridge, where raw produce was stored next to cooked food, but the exact cause of the outbreak was never located. Shafique, who admitted to four food hygiene breaches and failing to comply with EU regulations, was ordered to do 120 hours unpaid work and to pay £10,000 in fines, £1,000 costs and a £15 surcharge.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s